The Greek bike-friendly hotel network is an initiative by NATTOUR in cooperation with the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature (EEPF) to promote the development of cycling tourism. To support this initiative, and to welcome tourists who want to explore Crete on a bicycle, Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort partners with Joyride, offering guests special deals on bike rentals, but also bike tours.
Bike-friendly facilities available for cyclists at our Green Key eco-label hotel include:
- Maps of cycling routes in the area available in digital and printed form
- Safe bike deposit area
- Bike rack inside the resort
- Bike repair tool set
- E-bike charging station
- Rental shop by Joyride
- Repair service by Joyride
- Guided cycling tours in partnership with Joyride
- One-night offer stay per visitor (when the cyclist travels)
- Lunchbox preparation on site, with fresh fruit, sandwiches, and drinks
- Wellness facilities
Cycling is one of the best ways to explore the island. Travelers can enjoy the beautiful nature of Crete at a pace that enables them to also appreciate villages and rural areas. Cycling is a sustainable, ethically conscious form of travel, which respects and protects the environment.
Crete’s impressive mountain ranges are perfect for mountain biking. Joyride offers all kinds of tours to satisfy the recreational cyclist but also the avid, experienced riders who enjoy a good challenge and off-road adventures that require stamina and skill.
The road cycling tours can make for memorable destination experiences too. The tours take the rider on less traveled roads, through villages on narrow winding streets, to see traditional homes, churches, and the people who make Crete such a welcoming destination.
Joyride offers tours to Rethimno, Panormo, Bali, Fodele, Agia Pelagia, and Heraklion. They also offer bike rentals with helmet, gloves, pump, tube, service kit, multitool, lock, safety lights, and water bottles included in the price. They have mountain bikes, gravel road bikes, and e-bikes.
Health Benefits of Regular Cycling
Cycling is a low-impact form of exercise with excellent health benefits.
- It improves muscle mass around the glutes, hamstrings, quads, and calves.
- As cycling can help you burn between 400 and 1000 calories in an hour, it aids in your weight-loss efforts.
- It increases stamina.
- It makes you happier – at least according to a study by YMCA, which revealed that people with an active lifestyle are up to 32% happier than inactive people.
- Cycle commuting was associated with a lower risk of CVD, and cancer.
- It’s low weight bearing, meaning that it has a low impact on your body and a lower risk on joint injury.
- It can improve sex life – at least according to studies cited by Cycling Weekly.
- It improves the quality of your sleep and boosts brain power.
- It strengthens your immune system.
To see these and other health benefits in detail, refer to Cycling Weekly. Last, but not least, cycling is an affordable way to travel, and a pollution-free mode of transport. Cycling is a method for you to reduce your carbon footprint:
“Cycling 10 km each way to work would save 1500 kg of greenhouse gas emissions each year.”
And, eventually, cycling improves your social interactions and reinforces a sense of community.